Wednesday, February 3, 2016

In response to comment on a National Geographic's Brain Games episode: social conformity and group psychology experiment in a waiting room

Lion Kimbro:
#‎psychology‬ ‪#‎conformity‬ ‪#‎groups‬
I have read about experiments in which people became convinced that short lines were longer than long lines. (Perhaps it was in Howard Bloom's book "Global Brain" ..? That's where I might seek the reference. Howard Bloom strikes me as someone who tells tall tales, so I'd be cautious with this bit of information.)
I don't know if the truth of people's suggestibility goes that far, but it definitely has long reach, and has the capacity to alter memories -- not just on an individual, but collective basis -- as well.
I think that groups are always something to be careful about -- and I think that they are also necessary and omnipresent. I don't think that avoiding groups and being a loner works as a strategy to keep oneself safe, too -- I think that "individualists" are just as much a group as any other group. Libertarians are remarkably conformant in their outlook, for example. Rather, I believe that the successful strategy is to keep some **bedrock principles,** and alter them only very carefully. I don't want a "society" made of anti-conformists, which, as far as I can tell, is just another form of conformity.
Rather, I want principled people.National Geographic - Brain Games https://www.facebook.com/LionKimbro/posts/10153873281961322

This is like Church. If you don't stand up, the likelihood that someone thinks you're new goes up. Heck, they might imagine anything under the Sun for why you're not standing up, aside from the obvious: you just don't want to stand up. Sometimes there's no reason behind an act other than the act itself. This shocks a lot of people. Why? Probably because they aren't as individualistic or conscious as they are always being perceived.



Your whole anti-conformity argument to keep oneself safe is flawed/incomplete if you look at it through the lens of atypicality or neurotypicality. If you lack social deference, sure, that comprises some aspects, but not all. One can make a choice to be defiant of social expectations, but there's also the person who doesn't have a choice. And honestly, the act of non-conforming as you said IS an act of conforming, but also I think it is much more inclusive to those who aren't neurotypical sorts, because it creates a space for those individuals.

It isn't entirely a fear of group think going on or an ideology of non-conformity and strict individualism. Any other similar words would do: contrarian, going against the grain, the nail that stands out gets struck down.. Avoidance of social settings, obligations, and expectations, however, and the anxiety derived from bad social encounters, does increase the fear/frustration of social engagement. This frustration and fear can be internalized or externalized: on the self, or projected onto others. Knowing what people are capable of is important to be cognizant of and requires one to always be mindful.

In this video, they failed to show why other's fail to exhibit this social learning behavior and why.

Autistics don't social learn in this manner more often than not. It does shape how you think. Manners is a social skill that I learned, and it's saved me from lots of problems. Not everyone needs to use them though, but it's a necessity for me. I've had friends who now won't talk to me, because my mannerisms weren't reflected in the group, and thus ostracized in a public event I attended. It's foundational in a whole host of reasons why I'm an outcast before even being aware as such, without knowing why. It's typically evolves from something non-verbal that I'm signalling, while not purposefully signalling that which they suspect(ironic).

When you're aware of your abnormality and you see these situations unfold in real life, it is very surreal. You know that you're different. There really wasn't a choice in the matter. Playing along is an excellent strategy, but the game changes all the time, and you the Autistic, will remain culpable for a lack social deference when the new game arises, being ousted for it. After this bad social encounter, you adapt to the new milieu, and reprogram so it doesn't happen again (you hope), or the chance is lessened.

The ability to maintain coping skills such as the ones for maintaining social inclusion are just that, and under stress, decompensation happens and it wrecks havoc on the Autistic individual's social life. Going along with the group often means accommodating the group at your own expense. I think this is a huge component of why Autistic adults are doing a lot more self-advocating and being more involved in Disability Rights, maybe as an attempt to made that notion a thing of the past. Not feeling like you belong someplace, lessens the amount of ownership you feel, and the amount of agency to operate in a space.

TL;DR non-conformity/conformity and the reasons for it are devilishly complex.

No comments:

Post a Comment